Kids simply adore Chocolate Cake(and adults as well, I’m one of them..haha!) and there would be no mommy who will disagree with me on that! I always have an upper hand with my daughter when i have Chocolate Cake in my pantry! 😀
Ever wondered how simple an eggless chocolate cake (or even with egg) is to make? Chocolate cake is nothing but a profound reaction between baking soda and vinegar which causes the sweetened flour to rise! Ever tried mixing baking soda and vinegar for your home cleaning? That is the same reaction which causes a cake to rise.
Confused? 🙂 You can ignore my scientific banter and head on further!
Eggless Chocolate Cake
This is a go-to chocolate cake recipe as it uses very basic ingredients that are always available in most kitchens and it is a simple cake to make for a beginner. So if you are just starting out to bake, this recipe is just for you. It also takes very less time to get all the ingredients together.
I always stress on using a weighing scale as it is such a handy tool that guarantees a good result when your cake is out of the oven. But even if you choose to use cups and spoons, we can still do this together!
Always sift the dry ingredients and whisk them thoroughly as it properly mixes the leavening (baking soda or baking powder) with the flour.
I have mentioned vinegar in the ingredients but i would recommend Lime Juice instead as it is a natural and much healthier alternative.
Also preferably use sunflower oil or any other oil which does not give an oily smell. Strictly avoid groundnut oil for this.
- 120 grams/ 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 85 grams/ ¾th cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vinegar/ Lime Juice
- 55 ml/ ¼ cup Sunflower Oil
- 70 ml ⅓ cup Milk
- 25 gram / 2 tbsp Milk Cream (Collect the cream from top of the milk after boiling it)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Sift all-purpose flour, baking soda, sugar, cocoa powder and salt.
- Mix the vinegar with the milk and keep it aside for a minute till it curdles.
- Mix the curdled milk with oil and vanilla essence.
- Now add the wet ingredients in dry ingredients little at a time and give a quick mix. Be sure to not form lumps. Stop mixing when you feel it is getting lumpy.
- Mix the ingredients together till everything just comes together. Over-beating will result in a dense cake, a cake which is not fluffy.
How to make Basic Eggless Chocolate Cake Pictorial(Excerpts from the Video)
1. Measure the flour, baking soda and salt using the back of a knife.
2. Add the cocoa powder.
3. Whisk the dry ingredients so that they are mixed evenly. This step is important for a cake which has an even texture.
4. Sift the dry ingredients.
5. Sift the Powdered Sugar. Even if you are using icing sugar, this is an important step as sugar always clumps together when stored.
6. Now we shall mix the wet ingredients. Starting with this, we mix vinegar and milk and wait for it to curdle. This should happen in few seconds.
7. Add Oil and mix well.
8. Add Vanilla Essence.
9. Add Milk Cream collected from top of boiled milk. You can also use Amul Fresh Cream.
10. Whisk the wet ingredients till they come together and add to the dry ingredients bowl.
11. Add water now. After this step, fold the cake batter in circular motions in a gentle manner till everything comes just together. Do not keep on mixing. This will result in a dense cake, a cake that is not fluffy.
12. Line a 5 inch cake tin with either parchment paper or the oil-flour method and pour the batter.
13. Level the cake batter with your spatula so that you will get an even top surface.
Bake for 40 minutes at 150 degree Celsius
14. Once the cake is out of the oven, let it cool for at least 30 minutes before trying to demould it. If you try to remove it while it is hot, your cake will break and will not come out in one-piece..lol
Enjoy your cake and let me know how it turns out!
- Use wheat flour if you are health conscious but you may have to add 1 or 2 tbsp of water to maintain the same consistency of batter as whole wheat flour absorbs more water.
- Apple Cider Vinegar can be substituted for vinegar.
- You can reduce the salt to 1/4th tsp also.
- Use room-temperature ingredients. Cold temperature will not let the batter mix evenly and your cake will not be at its best.
- This cake is very soft, spongy and moist and is perfect for kids’ snacks box. I will not recommend this for layer cakes as this cake will not hold strong enough between layers.
You can mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients and store them separately at night and bake it off the next day so you can pack fresh home made cake for your family’s dessert box.. 🙂
So now you have an additional idea to what to pack for your kids snacks box in school/daycare or to give your baby a surprise after coming home from school!
Check out my recommended products you need for this recipe here:
Disclaimer :This post contains affiliate links to products. However, this does not impact my reviews and recommendations.