Eggless Whole Wheat Tart Crust
This healthy and eggless whole wheat tart crust recipe has all the ingredients you need to truly enjoy your dessert.
Number 1: It is 100% Whole wheat
Number 2: It uses 100% Butter. No Shortening that means No Dalda/Crisco.
Number 3: It does not use Eggs. So this is a great vegan tart dough recipe or for people with allergy to eggs.
Number 4: It is flaky and does not crumble!
You must have seen many tart shell or pie crust recipes that require refrigeration; but with this recipe you can mix all ingredients and go straight ahead for baking.
Check this amazing flaky, eggless, healthy wholewheat tart crust recipe because you definitely need one up your sleeve.
How to achieve a Flaky Whole Wheat Tart Crust?
You will obtain a flaky crust by using cold water while bringing the dough together. And by cold water, I mean ice cold water. Water that has been put in the refrigerator for at least 10-15 minutes. This is a very important ingredient for flakiness.
Do not knead it at all. Just bring it together till it forms a smooth dough. You want the crust to be nice and crispy.
Eggless Whole Wheat Tart Shell Step by Step Tutorial
Here is an exact step by step tutorial of how to make the tart shell.
1 Measure the flour and butter and rub together. Add sugar and salt.
2. Add ice cold water and form a dough.
3. Spread out a sheet of cling wrap or parchment paper and put some dough on it. Spread out another sheet on top of the dough before rolling.
4. Roll the dough up to 1/8th inch thickness not thinner than that or the dough may tear.
5. Brush the tart pan with oil.
6. Open the cling wrap and place the tart pan on it. Now using two sides of the cling wrap, invert the dough on the tart pan and remove the cling wrap. Cut the extra dough using a knife.
7. Prick the dough using a fork so that it does not rise during baking. Similarly make more tarts.
8. Post baking, press on the detachable plate of the tart pan so that the tart comes out easily. Put it on a largeplate and use a knife to remove the detachable plate. Let cool before filling.
- 170 gms Whole Wheat Flour
- 150 gms Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 50 gms Icing Sugar/Sifted Powdered Sugar
- Pinch Salt
- 1-2 tbsp Ice Cold Water
- Sieve the whole wheat flour and rub unsalted butter.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Mix in 1 tbsp of ice cold water. Add one more tbsp if required.
- Bring everything together and combine just until it forms a dough.
- DO NOT KNEAD FOR A LONG TIME.
- This dough does not require chilling time in the refrigerator.
- You can directly start rolling it.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.
If you wish to see the video steps of this recipe, I have linked it below.
Party Desserts with Eggless Whole Wheat Tart Shell
You can use this for making a variety of tart recipes like custard tarts, fruit tarts, cream tarts, healthy fruit pies, apple pie tarts, pie crust and healthy fruit tarts.
These desserts are perfect for occasions when you do not want to serve cakes and muffins.
If you want to use this healthy tart crust recipe for savory tarts, just reduce the sugar by half and you are good to go!
If you are new to baking, you should check out my article on how to start baking cakes and muffins.